El Paso Center Facilities
The El Paso Research Center was established in 1942 and expanded in 1976. The center’s facilities are located on a 44-acre site in El Paso and on a 190-acre site in Socorro. Eleven buildings provide 65,000 square feet of space for laboratories with extensive analytic equipment, offices, a classroom, a video conferencing room, a 200-seat auditorium, and five greenhouses.
Our main research center in El Paso sits on 44 acres of land that was donated by John and Betty McGuire, K. B. Ivey Investment Company, and Charles and Mary Gaither. Facilities were built in 1976 and include offices, laboratories with extensive analytic equipment, a 200-seat auditorium, classroom, video conference center, five greenhouses, an urban water-conservation landscape garden, and an award-winning cactus garden.
Our research farm in Socorro, Texas is a 190 acre research station established in 1942 on land donated by El Paso County. This was the original location of our main research center until 1976. The farm land is currently used to produce pima cotton and pecans. A new building was built in 1986 with offices, as well as chemical analyses and hydraulic laboratories.